Wednesday, January 14, 2009

then and now...and then?


I know this isn't the most original idea, but sometimes one just has grit one's teeth and just do it. O.K. that said, here is a new segment I call 'then and now ' this of course will change with time..I came across this old postcard of a building I know very well (I walk past it everyday except when I don't..ha ha) Anyway , it looks a little like the flat iron building in New York, only much smaller( and its not in New York). I photographed a modern version of this building this morning, and the truth is, it hasn't really changed a lot, in fact it almost the same. Maybe this isn't the best example to start my new little segment (then and now) but maybe its good to see that progress (if one can call it that) hasn't swept over everything in it's sight....

I use to go to that cafe in the photo above, but they have a really nasty old pit bull working for them and she barks (and bites) very loudly in French.I passed the cafe this morning and heard her tender tones ringing out. I think she has been there since 1927..Ahhhh!! somethings truly never change. Alas!
(click on image to make it larger)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do love the comparisons...of what once was and what exists today. Yet what your current photo is like has the surreal feeling of stepping back in time...I love this idea.

MsYvone said...

wonderful! I absolutely LOVE looking at old photos of cities and comparing them to what exists now. There's a great collection online of Atlanta scenes...http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/

Yours shows what I love about most european cities, they've changed so little in spots that you can feel like you've gone back in time.

PHILIP BROOKER said...

thank you Ms Yvone for your comments...I have a million and one views of old Paris and Im taking new photographs to compare.......Im not sure when I find the time but I do...Im going to check out your blog now ...thank you for the visit..come back again soon (as they say in the movies)

PHILIP BROOKER said...

oh!!!!! maybe you dont have a blog...alas!