Saturday, February 21, 2009

a cheesy story


The other day I posted a little painting I did when I was 6 years old.Today I came across a photo of when I was 5 years old. In fact I had just turned 5. My mother thought it would be a lovely idea to get the local photographer to come to our house a take a few photos. I remember this day very very clearly. Not for any other reason than the photographer had the nastiest smelling feet in the world (or maybe even beyond) I remember asking my mother what that dreadful pong was. I remember my mother saying 'for Gods sake dont say anything' I remember telling my brother and sister that the dreadful cheese smell belonged to the photographer.
Needless to say , the shoot was hurried along (maybe because I was making my brother and sister and mother laugh by holding my nose through the session) the totally embarrassed photographer and his cheesy feet left in a hurry. After my mother had opened all the windows in the dead of winter, we all laughed and laughed for the longest time. I of course had a sty on my eyelid that day and looked like an homeless extra from a lesser known Charles Dickens novel, that was adapted into a movie. Apart from my sty that looked a little like a black eye,I can also see that little smirk on my face.This smirk would get me into trouble all through my schooling years and actually all through my life.

A photo is worth a thousand words (maybe)

I think I'll have cheese for lunch... I wonder why?

smirk |smərk|
verb [ intrans. ]
smile in an irritatingly smug, conceited, or silly way : Dr. Ali smirked in triumph. See note at smile .
noun
a smug, conceited, or silly smile : Gloria pursed her mouth in a self-satisfied smirk.

13 comments:

C. L. DeMedeiros said...

like a little
Oliver Twist

PHILIP BROOKER said...

in fact I played oliver twist in the school play.....

Anonymous said...

It looks more like you are concealing a laugh...never mind the collar...or that knowing look that perhaps caused the odoriforus man huge discomfort...

January is a very cold month for open windows...but perhaps the photographer was wearing clean socks and had properly bathed when your mother selected him...or perhaps he was eating a bit of cheese at the time and an underdone bit of potato...one can only guess.

But the laughter remains...and so does the smirk...

Truly I enjoyed the story...and I am also wondering about your trips down memory lane. I know there is a purpose...

until the next chapter...

M

PHILIP BROOKER said...

Well, it was his feet..For some reason he took off his shoes..Thats when all hell broke loose...pooooh!!

Anonymous said...

Did Converse already exist back then?
That might be the reason why...

Anonymous said...

He took off his SHOES!!!!???? My that was very assuming of him...I mean it wasn't like he was in the orient...but then again, perhaps he did not want to track your home...and left an impression you would never forget...a cheesy one.
M

PHILIP BROOKER said...

He had very large feet and his socks were a greyish-green and looked very sticky......

PHILIP BROOKER said...

yes I think converse were around then...

Anonymous said...

What a perfect Oliver Twist.. What was that little mind thinking in that picture? And your artwork at 6. Love it.

PHILIP BROOKER said...

thank you darling....I was thinking about the next joke...I still do.........yikes!!! my hair

Anonymous said...

reminds me of when you introduced me to "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" to share with the boys in days of yore. beautiful picture and your hair was (and still is, silly man) great. dare i say the photo reminds me a bit of "Theodore Cleaver"? mischievous. gotta love it.

Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PHILIP BROOKER said...

I remember that...Who removed there comment...